PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Club of Great Britain
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2009, 20:16
biggles99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HCGB, Jeremy James and why you should be a member

Everyone in the UK reading this forum should belong to the Helicopter Club of Great Britain.

You may think it's for rich middle-England owners, but regardless of your politics and economic status, this organisation has done more than any other to keep your rotary flying as de-regulated as it is now. And it also is resisting more un-necessary regulation constantly.

In Germany, helicopters are strictly airfield to airfield. If you - or your client - wants to land at his Schloss it will cost 50,000 Euros in fees and take 2 years, BEFORE he can even start thinking about landing there.

In Italy, you have to have reporting points every 30 minutes -- and this is for VFR flights!

In Russia, EVERY flight is subject to a flight plan.

In much of Europe you have to have a fitted ELT to every helicopter, regardless of use or type.

One of the founder members of the club (and incidently my instructor back in the 1990s) was instrumental in designing the London Heliroutes. I bet some of you have had many paid flying hours taking the hoi poloi up and down the River Thames, not to mention having the convenience of crossing overhead one of the busiest airports in the world.

The HCGB, and in particular Jeremy James, have done an awful lot to keep you flying and enjoying the simple freedom that we have in this country when it comes to rotary aviation.

Even if you don't like the Club ethos, for 55 quid a year you get 4 excellent magazines and the opportunity to contribute to the stability and growth of the helicopter industry in the UK.

Moderator - this sounds a bit like an ad - it is not meant to be. I'm just passionate about keeping helicopter flying accessable to all, and keeping the UK accessable to us.

Big Ls.

(a member of the HCGB, but not on the committee nor in new-member recruitment. Oh, I'm not Jeremy either!)