PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAS AIR... Would u drop your life savings off to them?
Old 4th Aug 2009, 22:51
dhavillandpilot

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Having seen flying schools at BK over the last 40 years come and go i would NEVER NEVER give any of them any money upfront. The one exception is for ground tuition, and then only subject by subject.

It is not they are con artists, they are just not business people. You have to ask yourself how can a flying school make money let alone survive with the rates they charge for aircraft.

My guess is that a properly funded and run flying school would need to up the going rate by some 30% just to be commercially viable - hence old aircraft, young instructors (read little experience) and a general malise in the training industry.

Having said all that the earlier posts that recommend a smaller school are probably correct.

My suggestion would be to go and talk to Bill Whitworth at Whitworth Aviation. Bill was endorsed on a Fox Moth by my father in the early 1950's at the Royal Aero Club, Bill subsequently taught me how to fly when he was CFI at the NSW Royal Aero Club. I recently went back to renew a licence and found he had lost none of his edge or accume.

Go and talk to Bill or someone like Bill, who will give you a no nonsense response to how you could do the flying and actually achieve you goal.

All the best in an Industry that has some Ups and Downs, (excuse the pun)