PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy News V RAF News
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 21:36
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Cheap as Chips,

I don't think you can lay the blame at the feet of individual units. My own unit submitted fortnightly items through our EAW's PRO during our op det last year; the most we got in RAF News was a couple of paragraphs, with no picture, buried somewhere in the middle. One article in a 3-month period! So I must admit to being slightly bemused when the same old stories (charity this, air cadets that) feature time and again, with only slight variations in location to tell one issue from the next.

Some (unclass!) operational updates, along the lines of those on the RAF's own website, would be appropriate. Not just a map, with a Typhoon next to Kandahar representing all our helicopters! Yes, I know current ops get a bit monotonous when translated to paper, but I'd rather read about operational sameyness than another identikit article about an air cadet of the month. The various elements of the RAF (especially lower down the rank structure) lack understanding of each other's fundamental roles - witness the FJ vs AT vs SH vs blunty sniping that rapidly emerges on most threads in here - so an occasional feature showing what we all get up to would be most welcome.

The internal comms machine seems to have moved completely online. I'm sure the intent is for the chain of command to pass down relevant information for onwards briefing. However, this approach cuts out all the interesting "background" stuff you might read whilst leafing through a decent newspaper. With some higher-quality articles, RAF News could and should be broadening the general service knowledge of all ranks.