PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy News V RAF News
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 21:29
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
If you are lucky enough to get hold of a copy, the truly excellent 'Royal Air Force Flying Review' of the 1950s is quite an eye opener.

I inherited a couple of copies dated around 1953 - fascinating to see how things were back then. Including the poverty in which many servicemen existed.

Not for nothing was 'RAF News' often referred to as 'King and Country' - as Blackadder aficionados will undoubtedly agree.

My main gripe was the plethora of 'grip and grin' photos of Air Marshal Whathisname presenting some trophy or other to yet another bunch of muddy oafs.

I was once the editor of the station rag at Brize. For my 'you can do better than this' motivation, I had a photo out of an old copy of 'Air Clues' - it was captioned 'The Air Marshal looks at the impressive array of storage racks'... and came from a stunningly blunt article about some stackers empire in some god-forsakenly remote part of the Empire. Perhaps even less interesting than the turgid 'Air Power' articles which conspired to destroy the reputation of 'Air Clues'.....