PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice airport - is it difficult for flightdeck ?
Old 4th Aug 2009, 21:20
chickenstrips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi munrobagger!

Whilst I’m not a Captain, I have operated in to NCE from Edinburgh on a number of occasions!

In all honesty, it’s not that it’s a particularly difficult airfield to fly to, you just have to keep the procedures simple, plan ahead very early and ensure that ATC, as good as they are at NCE, do not force you in to flying a tight, high speed arrival!

On good weather days with an Easterly wind, the arrival is around the cape away from the locals for the reasons that Capetonian mentions, with a late turn to land on 04L, not 04R (Not splitting hairs though Rainboe).

On bad weather days with an Easterly wind, all arrivals are on the Instrument Landing System (ILS) again on to 04L. Noise issues go out the window!

As for the opposite runway, 22L/R respectively, the procedure is more complicated and you fly almost along the beach – give me sat on the right a very nice view… Generally, this arrival/landing will be completed in good weather. If the weather is bad with a Westerly wind – just carry enough fuel divert somewhere other than Cannes!

The departure on runway 04R is tight due to relatively low level of the turn, the high thrust setting, the take off speed of the departure and the terrain ahead of us. Agreed, a bit more of a turn than most are used to!

I’ve never taken off on 22L, so cannot comment I’m afraid.

As for high winds in NCE, never really experienced much, more thunder storms which we will deviate around.

It’s a great place to fly to and from!

If you are interested in interesting landings and take offs, have a look at the Island or Maderia, Funchal Airport!! That really is an eye opener!

Hope that helps - All the best!

CS.