PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy News V RAF News
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 21:03
CheapAsChips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF News does seem to have had a bumpy ride recently. But my troops seem to like it. Yes, it's more The Sun than The Times but if the majority read The Sun is that wrong? Good point above, though, about Navy News having lots of good articles and stories about what ships/units etc are up to - and as noted, they are submitted by the ship's PRO. Is that our problem? We all expect our CRO (or whatever they are called these days) to send stories into the RAF News and the website. Do we actually do anything to find the stories ourselves and get them started? Perhaps we are missing a trick here by not copying the Navy and having a PRO (good secondary duty for all those career types) on each Sqn. You can see it now - Sqn Boss to keen fg off - "Now then, when we are on exercise/ops/the lash, I want at least 2 stories a month about what a graet bunch we are (that should sort my OBE)". A bit tongue in cheek, but, if we were a bit more proactive and sent the stories in, we might: a. get more coverage; b: get more stories in about ops and kit rather than kids at Linton on Ouse (who just seem to have a very good CRO from what I've heard) and; c: improve RAF News' coverage. On reflection, I think we might be as much to blame for this as anyone - I for one have number thought to submit a story about what I/Sqn/mates have been up to.

Personally, I don't like the Navy News. Too much "stand by" for broadcast. Hate the glossy paper look - looks like something my local Council drops through my draw to remind me that they are spending my Council Tax well!