PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy News V RAF News
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 20:49
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
RAF News used to be alright. We all used to groan every time the Brize staish was pictured opening yet another building, or whenever yet another double-page spread trumpeted the latest and greatest achievements of Typhoon or Harrier. Despite those gripes, though, it had high production values, featured "serious" news, and had a decent letters section where correspondents stood a fighting chance of getting an answer from somebody at HQ STC (as was) who actually knew what they were talking about.

Now, as Dominoe rightly says, it is a rag. It looks like it would be right at home on white van man's dashboard - where he would have chucked it after reading it cover-to-cover quicker than I could use it to wipe my @rse. Typical of the kind of rubbish stories in there now are things like "lucky husband and wife get to spend 4 weeks of their op dets together" and "local kids play basketball at Linton's PEd flt (again)". There's so much human interest cr@p in there, I'm now surprised when they actually put a picture of an aircraft in!

There was a good old moan on PPRuNe a few months ago about the TV series "Air Force Afghanistan", which all the serving members thought was tosh, but was apparently aimed at the target recruitment audience (who thought it was great). Fair enough. However, please please please can we have RAF News aimed back at us, the serving audience? The paper's only widely distributed around RAF bases so it's not much use for recruitment. I learn more from this site about what's going on around the RAF than I do from the official channels - there's only so many IBNs you can read without looking like a staff officer - so I think it is high time that the "old style" RAF News was reinstated.

I know - fat chance.