PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private in GLASS or Private in CONVENTIONAL
Old 4th Aug 2009, 19:07
Jay_solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILOC

I respect that you may not agree with my point, and that you may find glass cockpits harder to interpret. Every one is different. So fair point.

But I think you missinterpreted the context in which I was making my point - I was responding to one poster who suggested that in any case you fly looking outside the aircraft. That is true, but when instruments fail, judging speed and altitude with the naked eye is near impossible when it comes to being accurate. But I was merely comparing the differences between the two systems. Not suggesting that one is better than the other, as its a personal choice. But its a better redundancy to have conventional instruments than glass avionics, due to the simplicity of their design.

Good point about the electrical failure scenario. But regarding my use of the word fix; I put the word possibly (in brackets) in connection to the word, as it may not always be easy to do so in flight. And I am not alluding to necessarily taking the instrument apart in flight. But when I say fix, it means as in, find a solution!

For example, If the static port is blocked but the pitot tube remains clear, the airspeed indicator becomes an altimeter in reverse.

Solution or Fix:

If the aircraft is not equipped with an alternate static source, the pilot may choose to induce static pressure into the block static system by breaking the glass face of the Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI).

You are taught that at private level. So you know what to look for and what to do if it does happen. Simple system, simpler solutions available.

But if your shiny G1000 screen goes blank, but the radios work, lights work, what has happened? Clearly the main electrics are in tact, but try and diagnose and fix that problem. If its computer glitch or a faulty connection inside the unit, unless your're an avionics technician or a computer whizz with diagnostic equipment, it would be difficult to find out what has happened or rectify it.

In the end, my overall point is; learn conventional first as most GA aircraft you'd rent are over 15 or 20 years old and use conventional instruments. And Glass cockpits haven't flooded the GA rental market as yet (could be several years off). But if you want to fly Glass, Fly glass! Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Jay_solo; 4th Aug 2009 at 20:08.