PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting ATPL modular: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 14:32
Concorde14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting ATPL modular: Advice needed

Hi Guys,

I would like to request some advice off you if i may, but first some background.

I’m a 26 yr old graduate working within a professional services firm but i have decided to jack it all in to achieve my dream of becoming an airline pilot. And yes i have read all about deferring my training for a few years but i genuinely believe that in two years time, naively or not that the market will be in much better position.

Despite looking into the big boys, CTC, OAT , FTE etc, i cannot justify the additional cost of going Integrated so i’m looking towards undertaking my studies on a modular basis at BCFT in Bournemouth. However, i am very keen on introducing an element of time abroad into my programme for both the weather and life experience benefit.

My questions are:

· I would like to commence my PPL abroad (where the weather is good) so mainly the US/Spain etc, but i’m confused with whether i need to undertake a JAA element of study and therefore can someone clarify this for me? I want to minimise any conversion expenses.

· Or alternatively, would it be better to get used to crowded UK airspace first (to set the groundwork) and hence to my PPL in the UK. Hence, deferring some time abroad until the hour building phase of the course.

· Does the argument of the airlines requiring consistent training from one FTO really stack up in the real world? This is what BCFT have hinted and i can see logic to this argument.

Like i say, i have the money to complete the full modular course at BCFT but i would like to have some time abroad for life experience more than anything. If it’s worth saying, my ambition is to work within the airline/business jet sector, so if any advice can be tailored towards that, it would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance for any comments/feedback given!

Regards

Concorde14

Ps excuse the essay!!