PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A/C flaring on landing
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 10:15
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Let me say this again :

I, my own ears, have not ever heard any passengers comment (speak directly to me) at all about the touch down zone.

I have had a look at those accidents you mention. I agree the passengers would have a lot to comment about.

However, these accidents involve other factors :
- adverse weather / windshear / storms / snow
- wet runway
- short runway / displaced threshold
- excessive approach speed / unstable approach
- speed brake retraction after touchdown
- idle reverse only / late deployment of reverse
- not in ideal landing configuration (flap setting)

Lion air 386 and US Air 5050 were both takeoff accidents Please explain how these are relevant to the discussion here.

For 2 of those accidents, Southwest 1248 and TACA 390, the aircraft actually did touch down in the zone but still crashed

A touchdown in the zone does not necessarily mean that you will never run off the runway and a long landing beyond the zone (as you see all the time) does not necessarily mean you will run off the runway and all die.

Let me say this again (assuming you fly a stable approach) :
I do not think there will be much risk of this happening (runway over run) in fine weather conditions on a runway more than twice as long as legally required if you land slightly beyond the zone.
Can you please find any examples where such has happened ?

Such conditions were not present in all those mentioned accidents above.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe you should attempt to touchdown in the zone every time but a smooth landing (to me) is also important.

However, in adverse conditions on a short runway, getting down in the zone suddenly becomes far more important now.

Last edited by John Citizen; 5th Aug 2009 at 02:17.