PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAS AIR... Would u drop your life savings off to them?
Old 4th Aug 2009, 10:10
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have said do not pay anything upfront.

I know nothing of the school but I ask the following.

1. Is it a big school conected with a uni or foreign students? As in - is it a sausage factory?

If so I think you should consider a smaller school. Why? Because the uni and foreign students will take precedence over you. You will be just another number in the sausage machine.

In my opinion the best thing for a newbie starting out is to go to a small town and find the charter company that does instructing. There is/was one in mudgee for example or one in goondowindi or one in karratha. These are not sausage factories these are places that have established charter and instructors. I cannot stress how important it is to find a place where you will get a teacher of aviation rather than someone who is just trying to get their hours up.

One last thing - make sure its written in your contract that you will have one instructor per phase (apart from occasional sickness of instructor). I experienced once at a sausage facotry a different instructor for about 10 flights in a row and let me tell you it costs you money when this happens. I left.

Good luck.