PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Right Bundle Branch Block (RBBB)
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 09:42
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right Bundle Branch Block (RBBB)

I just went for my medical and the ECG indicated RBBB....and suddenly I was grounded, at least temporarily

For those who are wondering, this means there is a blockage of some of the electrical impulses within the heart muscle, though I daresay a medic could explain it far better. Anyway, I'm hoping an AME or similar can answer some of my questions...

1) The AME who did my medical sent the ECG off to the CAA and said they might say it was fine. My reading of the CAA's website on this indicates they won't. It looks like I'll HAVE to have an exercise ECG, 24 hour ECG, and echocardiogram to find out if all is well or someting else is wrong. Is that the case?

2) My reading of the CAA website suggests that I can continue to fly on a Class 2 while the tests are being done. My AME didn't say that. Again, who's right?

3) If the test show nothing else wrong, will I get my Class 1 back. Again, my reading suggests that for a year I'll have to fly with a safety pilot...is that what 'OML' means? That's not great news for an instructor, so I hope I've got it wrong.

4) How much are these tests likely to cost, and is there any possibility of getting them done on the NHS, bearing in mind that for a Class 1 I think they have to be done by a CAA approved cardiologist.

5) Will I get any answers if I phone the CAA medical bods?

All advice - or comments from anyone with experience of this - very gratefully received! I was cutting back on instructing, but I didn't plan to give up entirely.