PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting It Right when Things Go Wrong
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 05:19
Final 3 Greens

There is a lot of griping in this forum about bad experiences, poor customer service, nonsensical decisions, and sundry other tales of woe arising from airline travel. That's only to be expected: when things go well - flight on time, comfortable journey, baggage arrives - there's just not much of a story in it.
With the very greatest of respect to Gibon 2, when things go well, the passenger has received the level of service s/he paid for.

In fact, things didn't go well, they went normally. When I take my car for a service or repair, I don't come back delighted because it was fixed to the manufacturer's specification.

Over the years, I've taken thousands of commercial flights and the laws of probability mean that a certain amount encounter problems.

Often these are resolved satisfactorily, occasionally not.

Rather than point out a particularly kind or efficient act by an individual, I would prefer to focus on a particular airline policy that impresses me.

In my opinion, no business should rely only on the good nature/goodwill of the employees to service their customers, they should provide them with tools to do the job and then give them the training they need to operate within the framework. This is the best approach to create a consistent business operation.

Such a tool is the easyJet extraordinary delays policy, which to summarise means that if your flight is delayed overnight, for reasons beyond easyJet's control, the unlucky pax will be given transfers to/from hotac and meal vouchers.

Contrast that with British Airways "We will give you additional assistance, such as compensation, refreshments and other care and reimbursement, if required to do so by any law which may apply. We will have no further liability to you."

So a big thumbs up to easyJet for having an unequivocal policy.

Whilst getting the BA quote, I noticed the following important information on the company website.

"Due to high passenger volumes at London Gatwick Airport, passengers should allow extra time at the airport for security processing."

What a non message, dross would be lavish praise. All this does is raise the passenger anxiety level by highlighting a serious issue (you might miss your flight), without giving any clear guidance on how much extra time to allow.

Whoever wrote this should be beaten around the head with a wet fish and sent on a remedial customer care course.

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 4th Aug 2009 at 05:30.