PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is Air Canada losing so much money and what can done about it?
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 23:59
Minorite invisible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see some people specialize in poster bashing but have no take on the subject of the thread. Do they even have an opinion ?

I travel often on Air Canada, and generally have great service from staff. I do not think that is a major issue. Of course there has been exceptions, but they were rare.

From talking to Air Canada pilots (who seem to refrain from posting here except maybe to bash other posters) they tell me that they gave up a lot in the last negociations only to see the investors rape the coffers just when things were getting better. Air Canada (or ACE) paid dividends (they claim) to the investors instead of giving the company a chance to recover properly and did not put money into the black hole that is the Air Canada pension fund. In Other words, the investors grabbed their money and ran, leaving the company high and dry.

Now, the company is asking the Unions to work with the company for further belt tightening measures, and the Unions feel this will only allow more coffer raping by new investors, leaving the company in financial trouble again.

What Air Canada needs is upper management whose primary interests is not the interest of big investors and big money, but the interests of Air Canada and its employees. Can these two interests be divergent ?