PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyout - Cape Town / Durban
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 17:43
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molesworth 1

Not a single feather ruffled.
I thought pressing your various 'safety' points deserved a gentle tease but hoped the would show it was good-humoured.

You are being a bit unfair implying that SA regulations are freer than other countries (such as UK).
I didn't imply that, and am surprised you inferred it from what I've written.
Perhaps you are confusing me with Sultan Ismael?
He described flying in SA as being "unfettered by regulations and jobsworth." He clearly intended it as a compliment, not a criticism.
I don't know how their volume of regulations (or their percentage of 'jobsworths') compares with ours in the UK so can't comment.

Or perhaps you inferred it from my comment about "plenty of scope for playing - legally" ?
I was referring to the ample uncontrolled and very quiet air space over unpopulated/sparsely populated areas near CT and, just in case anyone was thinking of suggesting otherwise, added that the low level shot was legal. (As it would it have been in the UK.)
The RSA equivalent differs from our Rule 5 in that it is a 'minimum height' rule but you are allowed to fly below the minimum height provided you can do so without hazard or nuisance to persons or property on the ground or water. [CAR Part 91.06]
The FAA has a similar provision which includes a specific exception relating only to helicopters. [FAR Part 91.119]

FL