PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 16:28
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For whatever reason, when one turns to government to 'save' one, the die is cast. I do not imply anything sinister here, though that thought process is acknowledged. When airlines go into bankruptcy, (a government process) and come out with pensions disappeared, and salaries reduced yet again, what is next?

If the trend is to disruption, ruinous competition ( Hyenas are ready to fill in at this moment if Colgan goes under, make no mistake), the result is obvious. Here in America, the last entity to enter the market, when Historical tradition is abandoned, is the Federal Government. Chrysler motors is gone, Medicine is about to be swallowed up. One doesn't need to believe in conspiracies, reality is enough.

I grew up in the fifties, in one of the most affluent cities in America. On a par salary wise with MD's were Airline Captains. That they commanded an aircraft made them more admirable than Doctors, believe me. My best friend was the son of a well known Pan American Captain. Captain E. flew Clippers and was one of the intro pilots on the 747. To think that a Captain at any airline was making what Captain Renslow was, was laughable.

I wanted to be President. Or an Airline Captain, either way, all the same.

I don't know about you, but the culture at any given Airline today scares me. From Colgan to UAL to AirFrance, it doesn't bode well.