PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA's revised GAAP procedures.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 13:41
Awol57

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote:
The NOTAM might be the towers doing
Strongly doubt that. Why would they care if your 2 minutes from the app. point? Heard some people at BK making the 2 min report yesterday and the reply from tower was 'report again at PSP'. And when they did they were processed the same as last week - if you were lucky to be one of the 6 you were given clearance. If not you were told to hold outside. Some people dont even know the correct position to report at (e.g NE shore of PSP reservoir) - let alone how to pass an accurate estimate on a position that they make up to suit their own flying. A valid point was made a few posts ago re: IFR flights descending from CTA. What about a jet on descent through class C at 300+ kts - 2 min ETA to Prospect is almost at Katoomba. I dont think Sy departures will be happy ( and I dont think it is all that legal) to be in their airspace, under their jusisdiction, yet on someones elses frequency who probably doesnt want you there anyway.

"BK tower, SAS estimating PSP 2 mins"

How is that helping other peoples' situational awareness when I could be between 2 and 10 miles away and tracking to PSP from any direction?
It will only succeed in adding to frequency congestion and confusion.

The remark that the tower had a hand in this NOTAM I think would be insulting to the guys up there (in the tower) having to be the ones implementing this s#@t. They are qualified and licenced to provide a service but are being restricted by an imcompetent regulator.

I cannot see any improvement to safety from any of the directives/NOTAMs issued.

SAS
That's why I said the NOTAM MIGHT be the towers doing, not that it was. I have no idea who the originator was.

I am a GAAP controller as well so I am sure my comrades over east won't be too offended by my speculation.

The estimate could assist in planning from our perspective, mainly in managing the 6 aircraft we can have. If a lot call, it's quite simple to not launch any until we can have the six. That would be my guess.

We are all doing our best to deal with a situation forced upon us.