PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Crash in Maryland
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 13:12
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I was cynical and expected this. Also I shouldn't have chastised a whole operation for one incident, I have edited my earlier post to take the unnecessary generalization out. My apologies.

I flew that same day in the same weather pattern (a couple of miles up north in a (IFR) plank): a big weather system off the cost was "throwing" all kinds of weather onshore with clouds ranging from CLR to BKN007, convective Sigmets and heavy rain in random order changing within minutes. As I said, not unflyable in a stabilized IFR ship with wx-radar (or at least ATC), but NOT in a R44 (at night that is).

There was no life to safe, nothing that would have only in the slightest bit justified risking the lives of three pax (read: "do what you want with your own life, just don't risk other peoples' lifes").

Sebastian:
I didn't say that this kind of flying was taught by the school, but I know that most schools differentiate wx minimums for students and their commercial ops. Which is ok, but bears the risk that students think, as soon as they have their commercial ticket, they can fly in anything (after all there are no wx minimums in Part 91 for helicopters right?). Obviously and understandably you try to safe your instructors reputation, but do you really believe in a coincidence, that just as they flew through the gap (which they always do very low at night of course) they had a mechanical?

Perhaps they'd had a mechanical and were trying to auto to the roadway?
I'm sure that's possible, but must have been a huge coincidence, considering those two witness statements in the NTSB report:
[...]The helicopter appeared to fly into "low clouds," turned around, and was heading back toward the west, when it contacted power lines just as his car passed under them. The helicopter impacted the ground and "burst into flames."[...]

[...]Another witness, driving on I-70, reported that the helicopter was flying parallel with the interstate, and "seemed to be getting lower." It then disappeared from view, which was followed by "sparks in the sky." He then observed the helicopter descend toward the roadway.[...]
ivor: I thought I read earlier that three of the four were rated pilots affiliated with the company and therefore I concluded they must have agreed with the go/no-go decision.