PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A/C flaring on landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 12:34
Jimmy Do Little

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am showing my age here a bit but on the A-300 (B4) the smoothest landings were achieved by easing forward on the controls after the flair had been established
A321, A320 and A330 are exactly the same. Hate to sound like a book-worm, but a careful read of the FCOM (Remember, it's kind of translated from French to English, etc, etc) tells you the same. "...blah, blah, blah....landing is conventional (for a TRANSPORT aircraft)....do not hold off nose wheel....derotate...etc, etc...' I recall the B727, 747 and (showing my age) the DC8, were pretty much the same deal. Arrest the sink rate, then derotate to the landing.

For the "Fly by Wire" ignorant, landing in the FBW Airbus series is in a "Control Law" that makes landings feel "...like any other aicraft..." sort of!

Vapp. Vapp ALWAYS includes an additional margin of speed to compensate for, lazy auto-thrust, Severe Icing, etc. Any other additions will be at the discretion of the pilots (For whatever reason) or a inputted as a result of a failure affecting aerodynamics (Flaps, etc).

In 15 years on FBW Airbus, I've seen more people get into trouble with landings (Pitch) when they didn't understand what Ground Speed Mini (GS Mini) did, or how it actually functioned. In fact, yesterday I had a guy want to REDUCE Vapp because GS Mini was doing EXACTLY what it was designed to do. In this case - had I allowed that reduction - the aircraft would have landed with a fairly high pitch attitude and - incidently -increased thrust. As a result, tail strike more probable.

Flaps Full or Flaps 3 is the same. The difference will be the approach speed (sometimes only a marginal difference) and a flatter pitch attitude at the commencement of Flare. Nonetheless, it's still a better landing (and according to the FCOM / FCTM) if you arrest the sink, then derotate the aircraft.

Generally, if you cross the threshold at the proper height, at the proper speed, and begin a very gradual throttle reduction at that point
I agree for most any other aircraft type. But, in the FBW Bus that thrust lever reduction (To Idle) can be a gentle reduction (Professional Technique) or simply yank them back to the Idle Stops (Frequently seen with the young folks who've never flown anything other). Whichever technique is used, it makes no difference in a FBW Bus, provided that the Auto-Thurst is being used for the landing.

I wish I had had a copy of this post years ago to describe to others the correct way to land this plane!
Like Airbus's "Golden Rule" number 1.... The Aircraft (Airbus) fly's like any other aircraft (Assuming Transport Type).

All of that said, no matter what you do during a landing, Airbus will always call you a "Retard, Retard, Retard".

Last edited by Jimmy Do Little; 3rd Aug 2009 at 12:51.