PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 Hard Landing at Oshkosh
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 17:17
sludge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I read about this, the more I have to wonder about the wisdom of the Airbus fly-by-wire. Guys are saying you can/can't override the controls, use or not use the rudder on a x-wind, add power but the plane won't let you(?)- what the heck kinda flight control system is that? Then the whole "tight pattern" thing - sorry but you can bet those guys flew that whole airshow profile plenty of times in the simulator, practicing every possible scenario - engine out, flap problems, and yes, even (gasp)crosswinds! Isn't this thing supposed to be some kind of technological masterpiece? Surely it has all sorts of high-tech gee whiz to help a guy do a normal traffic pattern with what, a 8 knot xwind? Isn't it supposed to be "pilot proof"? Maybe it needs to be a little more "computer proof"!

Far as the "slow flight" etc., we all know any airplane of that size APPEARS to be moving very slowly, also you must consider they had to be VERY light - isn't the interior stripped out? Surely they didn't land with 10 hours of gas onboard either. I don't see how landing that thing on 8000', or even 5500' (whoooooo!) strip is that big of a challenge for all these test-pilots and the worlds greatest airliner. Sure is a big airplane, though.