PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 16:30
Runway101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VeeAny
RangerIII remember that SFAR73 is only mandatory for FAA licenced pilots (possibly to FAA registred helicopters, but I cannot remember that). If you are not under FAA jurisdication the SFAR may not have been adopted by your local authority.
I know at least one flight school in Switzerland that has a SFAR73 Safety Awareness Course that you have to complete before your first solo flight (they say it's required by SFAR73 but they don't mention why this is needed in Switzerland).

The topics of the awareness training were brought to my attention during normal ground lessons at my FAA school in the USA, while this school in Switzerland actually charges for it separately and wrapped it in a 4 hour course.

If I am not wrong then according to the SFAR73 that I remember this awareness training is needed by anyone who manipulates the controls of a R22, not just before the first solo as they describe it.

The R22 POH refers to SFAR73 so it may be required by the Swiss authorities as well, but I don't really know that.

SFAR73 is definitely still valid and not expired.