PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plymouth Airport Bird Control Unit disbands
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 12:30
slowclimber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One could drive around the entire airfield in 10 minutes, I wouldn't believe the size of the field, or the number of movements, would justify a dedicated BCU unit.
I would think it to be the commercial passenger-carrying movements that justify a dedicated BCU operator rather than RFFS crew doing bird runs when time allows.

I wasn't aware that birds kept calenders
So how do they know when to migrate? Birds exhibit seasonal behaviour, and Merlin69 is obviously well-informed as to how these affect Plymouth operations.

you've not provided any evidence at all that the bird problem at Plymouth has deterioated.
Apart from the figures that Merlin69 has, in fact, provided to demonstrate deteriorating bird control...

I'm finding it difficult to understand why so many people, both on here and in airport boardrooms, are quite happy to allow bird control to be carried out on a part-time basis by people with other jobs. Birds are a real and constant threat to airport movements, and Plymouth has more of a bird threat than many. Bird control is a job needing constant cover by a trained operator. From what I understand, Plymouth had that - now it doesn't. Hardly a demonstration of commitment to flight safety, is it?