PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 10:19
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Stansted Pick Up and Drop Off closures - scam??

grrrr!!! Went to Stansted last night to pick up daughter and kids. Arrived early (well, on time but their flight delayed, so went round to McD for a bite. Got the call that they had arrived but that the Pick Up zone had been closed. They were being taken to what eventually turned out to be the Orange short stay car park. OK, thought I, that's a bit of organisation, obviously the police have had an alert and have efficient alternative arrangements in place. (Should have realised that it's England and no one seems to have a "Plan B" if things go wrong...)
So off I toddle to the Car Park. Lots of people in similar situation, long queues of cars for the Car Parks or just parked along the kerb. Police pull up and queue starts moving at the Green Car Park, but I pootle on to the Orange Car Park as instructed. Ah ha, ticket barrier.... No problem, not my fault, Pick Up was open when I arrived previously, now it's blocked, so as I and my passengers have been sent here, they obviously have arrangements in place.... In, passengers right by the B/C row, bags in, all in, off again..... 2 mins tops and that's weaving around all the other cars looking for their passengers. Off to the barrier, press telephone button and eventually some one answers.... "Please raise the barrier", I ask, "the Pick Up zone has been closed by the Police, obviously a security alert, been directed here, straight in, got my passengers and I'd like to leave please."
"You'll have to pay" came back the reply "No, I didn't want to come here, but the Pick Up is closed and the Orange Car Park is where my passengers have been directed. it's gone midnight, there are queues building, not my fault I'm here, please raise the barrier" You used the car Park, so you must pay" "No, no, no, no, no" (now in Clarkson mode) "I didn't want to use you Car Park but I couldn't use the designated Pick Up zone, please raise the barrier". "You must pay", "No", "Yes" .... After 10 minutes of repeats, my daughter went and paid (well, to use the ticket machine controls you need to be close, so then you can't get out and reversing into a dense pack of cars......???)
While this was going on, various drivers using the other barriers were telling us that this frequently happens....
So, is this a nice little earner for Orange Car parking, close the Pick Up and drop Off, tell people to use the Orange Car Park, but have no arrangements in place to let them out without a rip off charge? what was most annoying was the 2computer says No" attitude, and my daughter had only euros, so it was a scramble to find the £2.50.
I can fully understand people venting their frustration and had there been anything breakable, I would have done so.
I could not have been the only one, does it happen frequently and is that why so many were parked up on the verge because they have been caught before?
Is this a scam to con money out late at night? Have others been "caught" this way?