PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 03:03
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PTH

I learned on a C-150, have 300 hours in a radioless Champ and flew checks, which has to be one of the worst "sink or swim" corners of aviation. I know all sides of the equation. I still believe a structured program does the best job of training pilots. Don't believe me, believe every military force in the world, most of the world's major airlines. Believe the recruiters at the largest American carriers--just about every one gave extra credit to candidates that graduated from a structured program--military, college-level programs, etc.

I am NOT against light airplane general aviation, just trying to point the value of other programs. Gulfstream Academy didn't do anyone any favors considering three commuter airline accidents in the last few years involved one or both of their pilots at the helm.

Agreement--there are good and bad pilots in all areas of aviation, but FAR 121 carriers need consistently good pilots who are well-trained, follow the book and are professional enough to report in sick or not fit for duty. Regardless of the consequences, personal or business.

GF