PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 01:41
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, there is no way the brain training thing is as demanding as the Apache system. They have to do it from day 1 just to control the aircraft effectively, but what I am talking about is a consequential thing that is not critical for aircraft control.

I like the analogy with the camcorder, and I have been trying to find some more. The most common one uncovered in our discussions was sunglasses. The first time you put sunnies on with small frames and closed peripheral blocks, you can find it a little claustrophobic and daunting, but after a while you do not notice at all, and your head movement begins to automatically compensate for the peripheral degradation. Similarly when you go from a big lens set of glasses to small ones you will notice heaps of frame in your vision, but that dissipates as time goes on and you dont notice it at all.

I have also noticed that on NVG. The Americans tend to teach people to tie the neck cords off to their helmet, whereas we leave them dangling down around the necks. The cord is then in the peripheral view, but it is only two or three flights before the pilot does not even notice the cords at all.

In Oz, as I understand it, all current approved operators use ITT F4949 (one previously used another brand but has changed).

Operators I know of include (there are others):
Hunter Rescue, VicPol, EMQ, WAPol, RotorLift (an approved Training Provider), Australian Helicopters, and CareFlight (also an approved Training Provider).
On the cusp of completing training and approvals are:
PolAir NSW, and CHC Sydney.