PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1944 Military B-17 Crash Info Re: Matt Ransom
Old 2nd Aug 2009, 01:23
ldirr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit to Cambridge American Cemetary...a note to my father, John, from Ann Gillies

Sent: 07/31/2009 1:02:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: (no subject)

Dear John,
I meant to write.. but had to work extra duties, and tempus fugit. So, I am sorry that you had to hear about my visit to Matt from John or Lucy, and not from myself.
I visited my dear school friend , who lives just outsde Cambridge, for her 50th Birthday, and we celebrated and I stayed the night.
I went to Cambridge American Cemetary the next morning. It is a beautiful, peaceful place, that is immaculately kept, and the gardens and reflecting pool make it very tranquil. Spread over 30 acres though, I needed a kind warden to show me to where Matt was resting.
So that Matt was not wondering who on earth this English lady was, I inroduced myself. I explained how I had visited with hs genteel friend and lovely wife, in Atlanta who had shown such warmth and kindness towards me, that I had offered to visit on their behalf.
I told how you had wanted to pay your respects, and that he was still remembered, with love and pride for having been his comrade and friend.
I was allowed to leave the flowers there , with your name on them.
There is a beautiful chapel, with inscriptions on the walls, that read :-

GRANT UNTO THEM O LORD, ETERNAL REST

IN GRATEFUL TRIBUTE TO THEIR SACRIFICE AND
IN PROUD MEMORY OF THEIR VALOUR

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY
1941 - 1945

but no facility to light a candle, and so I went to the beautiful local village church, and did that there.
It was a beautiful morning John, and a great honour to be your messenger on that day. It made me remember the quote
" When duty whispers low 'thou must', the youth replies 'I can!' "
and these young men certainly did.
I will try not to be so tardy with my correspondance with you in future! I hope that Louise and yourself are fit and well. Take care, and write when you want to..
love, your friend,
Ann xx