PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 Hard Landing at Oshkosh
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 22:38
PETTIFOGGER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A380 landing

I don't know about the landing from a handling point of view, but it looked OK to me. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I was expecting something thrilling, sphincter-tightening and exciting. Then I watched the video, which was a bit of a disappointment. Not even a decent bit of wing flapping, with the outer engine nacelles bouncing off the tarmac. But wait, I am not a 'pilot', so I guess I don't know about these things.
Ever flown on an A380? It is a different, better experience. For a start it is quiet, very quiet. That makes a big difference on 13 hour trips. All other aircraft seem uncomfortably noisy to me now, especially the 777. The A380 is spacious; it is not only wide-body it is high-body. This feeling of space is as far removed from the 747 as the 747 was from the 707. It is a step change. It seems powerful, reaching cruising altitude of around 40,000 feet in one go, not bouncing around at 25,000 to 30,000ft waiting to burn off weight to allow a further climb, like some of the 747s.
As for aesthetics, yes, the nose looks ugly. But the wing is good, very elegant, and by all accounts is very efficient. And it is proven efficiency that will sell this plane in large numbers. For instance, SIA who have been operating the A380 for some time, have just announced that 10x777 flights are to be replaced by 7x380 flights per week SIN/CDG/SIN, which they calculate will give more capacity, less trip costs overall and less capital cost.
I do not see the new generation of twins coming along to be natural A380 competitors, and anyway, their CASM is more, as is the 748's. The latter is a beautiful looking plane externally, and internally with the skyloft arrangement. A pity it has not sold more - only to LH I think - and there must be a reason. You will probably like travelling on the A380; most people who have flown it do. Returning to the landing, it looked just fine to me, with good lateral stability. Anyone else notice that?