PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congress wants ATP & 1,500 hours for Regional Pilots
Old 1st Aug 2009, 22:18
Jay_solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raisng hours is just playing with numbers to make things look good. Its as useful as the threat level indicators once used after 9-11. its all for visual peace of mind and to show the public, "we've done something about it"

The main problem with airline flying is the pressures placed on pilots in a very competitive industry, working with the most "un-glamourous" working conditions.

Point in fact for Colgan Air/Continental 3407: Rebecca Shaw - First officer - had approx 2200 hours TT
Capain Renslow - 3,379 hours

Thats an experience crew to be flying a prop! Infact Shaw had 772 hours on the Q400!

We in Europe routinely put 250 hour pilots into B737's, CRJ's, ERJ's, A320's as FO's. And in asia, low houred pilots fly on heavies likes B747, B777, A330 as relief pilots. 3 years ago, one guy I went to flight school with got a job with the now defunct Oasis airlines as a cruise pilot on the B744! His total time; 300 hours! Flew nothing bigger than a seneca!

So hours is not the major issue. The pilot's aptitude, attitude and dedication to improving ones self and knowing ones limits is key.

To me the issues really are about the pressures placed on maintenance men/women to get aircraft back in the air quickly to make money for the airlines.

Pilots pushing their duty time limits amidst stressful and tiresome situations to complete the job - example AA 1420

And the general degrading of working conditions in a very demanding job just to squeeze every last penny to keep the airline afloat.

Just my 2 cents