PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 1st Aug 2009, 21:02
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to the FDR data it may be more useful to look at this item: http://www.ntsb.gov/dockets/aviation...027/417238.pdf

(Apologies, I didnt spot this more complete output previously)

In this case we do have column force data (I did think it slightly odd it wasn't available)

I've not looked at this in enough depth to respond in detail but I will make two comments:

1. Firstly, however illogical it may seem, for flight crew to pull back on the stick at shaker activation is not unknown; depending on the system design, when the AP disconnects it may release the stick forward a little, and the crew may tend to "snatch" back at the stick, since it looks like a sudden and unwanted movement.

2. Secondly, be vary careful in making assumptions as to how the trim system will be affecting the control system dynamics. With AP on, the trim is acting to relieve the AP servo (assumption based on other designs) and so when the AP disconnects you should NOT get a big input from the trim - it should be more or less aligned with the current elevator position. I thought there was a docket item on the control system (in the presentations on day 1 of the hearing) but I cant find it right now.