PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A total rip off
Thread: A total rip off
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 18:04
David Roberts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the discussion points I had with the EU Commission top aviation people recently was the urgent need for an early (post-implementation) review - by the Commission or an independent body (not EASA) - of Part M.
I pointed out that if this is left too late, there could be little left to review.

Fortunately in the gliding world we have been able to take advantage of the revised version of Part M incorporating the ELA 1 concept, the uncontrolled environment, owner maintenance, volunteer inspectors, use of the BGA set-up, derogations, co-operation from the CAA etc, such that the impact should be less severe than it appears to be in the power flying world. Part M is still by no means perfect for the gliding sector, it was never needed (but was imported into EASA thinking from France, as a solution looking for a problem), and it will certainly need to prove its benefits. In the meantime we are all suffering, some more than others, from the cost escalation generated by the additional bureaucracy, with everyone in the food chain charging their bit. The difference in France is that (a) they have had this sytem for a while - pre EASA (b) they have worked out how to adapt to it economically and made it generally more efficient (c) they have a much more pragmatic approach (d) their cost structures and processes are well tuned (e) they are French.....

The point was taken by the Commission and I shall be followng up after the summer break. We need to continue to hold EASA's feet to the fire on this, as Europe Air Sports began to do in 2004.

DGR
President, Europe Air Sports (which represents light aeroplane owners / pilots as well as glider / balloon / microlight / helicopter owners and pilots etc, in case anyone is in doubt)