PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident statistics - head/neck injuries
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 08:43
ChopperFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I do alot of motorcross riding... The types ive seen for racing allow the head to move so far forward and back, but it prevents spinal compression as they pack up tight under the helmet

They are a little restrictive for tilting side to side movement because in motorcross and car racing your usually looking mostly forward but im sure a helicopter type could be designed which would allow you to turn your heads and still have compression preventing qualities

If you came down with almost zero airspeed it would prevent your head from compressing down to your body, ive seen many guys trying flips and jumping land right on their head and walk away from it

Without these many would have ended up para and quadraplegic

We use a chest protection too which I could see in helicopters, it protects your chest and back from being punctured in a crash and in helicopters im sure it would help prevent internal injuries from an impact

I think helmets are a must, any accident in any vehicle could be your last. As a pilot your not saying your unsafe to fly with but i think it shows that your professional and safety is important to you

If the option was there when ive been a passenger to use one , I would always take a helmet

Maybe designers should look at race car roll cage design and crumple zone areas and incorperate crash cells into future helicopter designs

We should use helmets in standard cars, they really arnt so safe either, and not all of us can afford anything with airbags... my 72 datsun 1600 has none, and any crash I have, I know it will be my last

Just my 2c of cause, hope I havnt strayed to far

Simon