PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive Mod Knock Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 07:29
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you ask!

Military Aircrew A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World are welcome.

Of late the forum has been mis-used, abused and generally gone down the tubes.

We have had trolls - who get banned permanently. Those posters who think that anything goes - their threads get deleted. Those who think their posts are the best thing since sliced bread, they get deleted. Then we get those who think that this forum somehow belongs to them and throw a wobbly, or those who deride the mods if their posts get moved to a different forum. So, it has to be said, WE decide what goes or where it goes to.

I have personally removed 19 posters (all of them trolls) permanently from this forum who had no idea what the word debate meant or who were totally childish and clearly thought that swearing and abusiveness to others was normal. Their understanding of normal always demonstrated that they were not.

We have recently had an Admin chat about the above and Danny has gone as far as to say that we should adopt a "slash and burn" policy in Mil. You may think this an exaggeration but I assure you it isn't.

Moderating this forum has become more necessary now than at any time in the past 11 years I have been here. It used to be the only forum that had a 'self moderating' action and was virtually left alone. Not anymore it seems. But, we would be pleased to see that return.

Many of the good guys have left us. Probably because they feel as we do that the 'quality' of postings has significantly dropped. Certainly the fun and banter has changed, in some instances, from the laughter getter to an excuse for perverted abuse.

We recognise that some individuals from other sites try to hi-jack the forum with their own puerile tosh. We are on to it.

The Mil forum must return to it's original purpose of giving voice to the three services in aviation.

Sorry as we are to say it, we will be adopting a more robust editing policy. We hold the reins and we intend to stop what amounts to a slow runaway forum by applying the brakes.

For those who do not like it - you will have to migrate. For those who cannot abide by the basic rules of PPRuNe will also have to decide what they want to do. We would prefer that they stay if they feel they can integrate and we would like to see the return of the 'friends of MIL' - the sooner the better.

The forum is yours if you play by the rules. They are not severe but they are rules. BTW, swearing in either the straight form or *** form is not acceptable, it is becoming all too common. Non-swearing is a standard PPRuNe rule.

As an ex WO I would dearly like and prefer a quiet word behind the hangar but this will have to do!

Finally, please accept that this is a take it or leave it. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

PPP