PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident statistics - head/neck injuries
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 00:52
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The HANS system only came into play when the car hit the barrier.
If you look closely at the pictures you can see that the tyre wall has a smear of yellow paint from Massas helmet.

The system will do nothing about a dirty great spring hitting you in the head, thats where the helmet does its work.
Yes of course a helmet is a good idea.
a. Customers don't want to be flown around by a pseudo Maverick wannabe out of Top Gun, with badged flying suit and black visored helmet.
Pax wish to have the short sleeved white shirt and tie with gold bars and headset look, complete with polyester trousers.
This old chestnut keeps getting trotted out, but where is the evidence?
Show me a survey. There is a chance that passengers would prefer to have a pilot in a helmet!
Walking from/to the aircraft at the flying school, race course, hotel or golfing venue, he/she might feel a little overdressed for the surroundings.
Not a problem to take off a helmet! A one piece flight suit is a different discussion (solved by wearing a two piece outfit!)

Either;
Why is it that when you go go-karting for example, they make you wear helmets and overalls, but it doesn't happen at flying schools!
[QUOTE]
And it is up to individuals in the industry to make the change. I'll bet that as many customers would be attracted to a flight school that demands its students wears helmets than customers who are turned off. Now you'll say that the cost of the helmet is high. Im sure that the manufacturers can come up with a set of helmets designed specifically for flight schools that can fit most head sizes. Immersion suite manufacturers have done this. In fact part of the market for such helmets could be the offshore industry.

Comparing Massas incident and the HANS to anything flying, is a bit of a red herring IMHO. To relate it to a flying incident, a bird (or spring from another aircraft) would come through the windscreen, hit us on the head rendering us unconscious and consequently not in control of the aircraft.
Im not comparing it at all, it merely raises the issue of head protection in flying vehicles.

Now this is where I don't get where you think the HANS would be any use to us....
I am suggesting that a HANS like device could be beneficial, you'll note that I was asking for more references to medical opinion.

I don't believe it is far fetched idea because as has been pointed out a collar for motorbike users has been developed.

What is disheartening is that a view such as yours is not unusual, you are someone who understands the benefits of helmets but are unable to change your daily working practice and perhaps because of this, are generally negative about positive steps to improve crash survivability.

Mickjoebill