PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2009, 22:22
regle

Some of my best friends were....Aussies

Just try and get back in to England when you are British and the bearded Immigration Officer is wearing a Turban and last met you in Calcutta !
Pariah postings ? I used to land on an Island in the Gulf called Masirah where the only inhabitants were 14 "erks" and a F/O C.O. and "Jankers consisted of guarding the only plant on the island ....a tomato plant surrounded by barbed wire. They were all allowed to meet the DC 3 to ogle the solitary Indian Stew but were not allowed to go near the Steward !
Seriously , my first CO on Blenheims and then the first Mosquito Squadron was Hughie Edwards VC.,DSO, DFC etc. and later Governor of somewhere called Western Australia I think. On the SQdn (105) my best "Oppo" until he was shot down was Bill Blessing and another Blenheim Aussie whom I took on home on leave to the delights of Blackpool, PO Charlie Graham, later missing. I had a very high ranking pupil when I was at the Empire Flying School who was burdened with the name of Kingsford-Smith ...all of them the salt of the Earth and much missed.
I loved the chimp story and had never heard it before but I have certainly met that Group Captain, in fact I think that he had been promoted and had produced many look alikes. Encore, Regle

Last edited by regle; 1st Aug 2009 at 04:45.