PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2009, 19:03
surplus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus utilizes design diversity in computers to lessen the chance that redundant systems would fail at the same time in the same way. Funny this principle was never applied to probes.
Very interesting comment and quite relevant. There are unfortunately other instances in which that 'principle' has never been applied to AB designs and from my perspective they are not at all funny (although I understand your different context use of the term).

Read the following report and it may give you some insight into how AI responds to repeated anomalies experienced in some of their products.

http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2008/a08_53_55.pdf

If that is how they respond to problems then I have no regrets at never having had the "pleasure" of piloting one of their aircraft.

How would you all like to be flying an A320 that loses all 6 displays and has a standby gyro with a life of 5 minutes? Their SB's and fixes don't work. They change their "new" models but do not retrofit. Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

The same pattern appears to exist with these alleged multiple pitot probe failures and the difficulties they appear to cause. They know there is a problem but, they don't seem to know what it really is and their efforts to eliminate it so far could only be classified as lame.

Tempting fate isn't a game that should be played in commercial aviation, IMHO.