PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew Fatigue : Own Up or Man Up?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2009, 18:09
Uncle Ginsters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very interesting discussion and has to be one of the most valid for a long time on Pprune!

My thoughts:

1. Talk of things being OK 'on Ops' or 'at war' is fine when that line is clearly defined. The over-tasked frequency of our outfit now means that our steady-state has become 'on Ops'.

2. I fly an aircraft, usually as Captain, carrying a great many people in support of HERRICK (clue: it's got more than 3 donks!). It has been made very clear to us that any major incident/accident would almost certainly be a stopper for the whole Op. That, like all things, has to be balanced against the task in hand. We regularly work in excess of 24hr days to get the injured to BHX. The would not be true of other 'loads'.

3. SS - Yes, the Captain is a major part of the decision-making loop, but he's only one link in the chain. Levels of risk have to be taken at the appropriate levels of command. It is impossible to define those levels, but it is incumbant on us all to understand and flag upwards exactly what risks are being taken on a trip-by-trip basis.

Just my thoughts,

Uncle G