PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RCAF - What's it like?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2009, 15:58
BroVVn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RCAF - What's it like?

Hey guys, I’ve got a couple of questions related to joining the RCAF. (I already read the other topic about it and was hoping to start a new, more in-depth discussion).

So I just graduated from the University of Waterloo and am looking into career options. I was planning on working with NGOs, but I’ve always wanted to be in the military and never fully considered it until now b/c of my family’s aversion to it. So I’ve done quite a bit of research into the RCAF, such as reading all the information available on the forces.ca site, talking to online recruiters 3 times, and talking to my grandpa who was an RCAF pilot in the late 1950s flying F-86 Sabres (Canadair Sabre).

However, I was hoping to get some opinions from current/former RCAF pilots and friends and family of pilots. I have compiled a list of the main pros and cons of joining the RCAF and most of my questions are regarding the cons:

How intense is the psychological stress of becoming a pilot?

How often do pilots usually move around? How crappy are the airbases? Are they in extremely remote locations? (I’d probably be dragging my long-term girlfriend around with me and was wondering how terrible it would be for her to live near a base).

What happens if you wash out? Are you reassigned against your will or released from the air force? (I wonder this b/c as of right now I don’t want to do anything but pilot and would rather be released than reassigned)

Are most pilots adrenaline junkies that like to live on the edge? Are there copious amounts of alcohol and drugs?

The time commitment for being a pilot is 9 years, what rank do most people reach by the end of this? Captain?

I’m sorry for this awkward question, but is there a high injury or mortality rate in the RCAF? (my family is seriously worried that I’m going to die or develop post-traumatic stress disorder if I join)

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for all the help!