PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Training in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2009, 09:36
toptobottom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't afford it, don't play the game
Ok - this is my last post on this thread as I can see it's rapidly deteriorating into a pi$$ing contest that's been heard too many times before. Are you suggesting the R22 is unsafe and that if you can't afford to train in a 44, then don't train at all?! Safety, of course, is a common denominator that applies to all aircraft. It's a fact that there is nothing inherently unsafe about the R22. Sadly however, there are lots of inherently unsafe things about some of the very many young, irresponsible and inexperienced pilots that fly them - and that is what is reflected in the accident stats.

If I was an ab initio stude today, armed with a limited budget and a desire to learn everything there is to know about learning to fly helicopters, I'd go for the 'seat of your pants' R22 every time. It's safe, much cheaper and I believe learning in the R22 would make me a better pilot.

If I was an ab initio stude today and I could afford to buy a shiny new EC135, I'd still take lessons in an R22 before doing my type conversion and getting some hours under my belt - because I believe it would make me a better pilot.

Next thread!

TTB