PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 05:34
Carl Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From 7 March to 16 April 2003, I studied at PE's Algoa Flying school where I was awarded my PPL. The majority of the foreign students were Brits, but there were also Dutch and Swiss and initially we all had to get used to the South African dialect from the Tower! The intensity of the steep learning curve has to be appreciated, but if you are willing to 'work hard', then PE is also the place to 'play hard'. Algoa is fortunate to have the personalities to complement its teaching package. From Glynis, the administration expert and her ever smiling support assistant Denise, to Guy, Gerard, Tracey, Kenneth and Dave, the flying instructors, the school has a plethora of expertise. Therefore, I was disappointed to read that there seems to be some confusion, by those who have not been there, about the professionalism of the 'Flying Club'.

"Algoa is more a flying club than a professional flying school and is at the regional airport, so you pay for taxiing and waiting for slots etc. Progress is out of town....."

I do agree however that Progress is more out of town, which is a pity as the experience of flying out of the International Airport behind normal day-to-day air traffic is second-to-none, especially with the added opportunity to meet the staff from the Tower (It's good to put a face to the the voice).
For anyone who needs convincing that Algoa is worth trying then I can only state that the professionalism was only beaten by the good humour - it worked for me. As a serving memeber of the Royal Air Force I feel that I am in a position to guage that Algoa is a professional flying school which can also provide the flexibilities of a flying club.

The moral of this story. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!