PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 11:54
psmd0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.A

Rubbish!

You can fly a G registered aircraft using a South African PPL in UK airspace. You DO NOT need to convert it! I have rented planes from 2 different clubs using my South African PPL. All it took was a normal check ride. I have no intention to converting to a UK PPL as I can renew my licence with Irv Lee at Popham as well as do my medical in London. Flight schools in the UK will tell you that you wont save money going abroad because they want you to spend your money with them. They will also tell you that you wont know how to land in a crosswind, and that navigation is different. All rubbish as well. When I got back to the UK I did 2 hours with Irv Lee so he could explain the differences of UK airspace, and after that I was out on my own and had no problems. I got my PPL at Algoa flying club in P.E, over all I had an amazing 5 week holiday, got my licence for all just under 2500 quid. Including my flight over there. Email Algoa flying club if want reliable information. Don’t always believe what UK schools tell you, if I had of I would have never got my licence.