PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 00:09
Flyboybrad

Cool Africa You say?

Hey there,

Iv recently done tonnes of research on african flying schools, and the best one I found was...The European Flying school in Port Elizabeth. I am only 18, and seriously considering moving to Africa for a year or so to study to be a pilot. Im half way through my PPL in the UK and finding it a increasing finacial strain. Iv asked my flying instructor a few questions about training overseas and he seems optimistic. He believes that some schools are like "factorys" producing poorly trained pilots for stupidly little money. The thought of that has not really fazed me and im still looking at the European Flying school in Port Elizabeth.
On a more positive note I believe there are many positive sides to learning to fly in Africa. Some schools have excelent locations which make the flying even more enjoyable, and the exchange rate is rather cool too. The £ to the African Rand is currently about £1=14Rand, and that makes the training light on your wallet. The school stated above offers accomadation, food, and a working VISA once obtaining a Commercial licence. The aircraft are in reasonable condition and look well maintained. PPL- ATPL would normaly cost £50,000...Africa on the other hand PPL-ATPL around 25,000 Rand, do your maths and you can see the money saving bonus of african training. I hope this helps

Regards
Brad