PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2002, 15:07
helipad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Dakota Queen,

I haven't done any flying myself in South Africa and don't know exactly where the flying schools are but I can give some pointers about the two destinations.

Cape Town is great lots to do and visit when you need a break from flying, lots of stuff I enjoyed some of which I didn't think I would.
Robben Island where Mandela was a prisoner is really important to see, Kirstenbosch botanical gardens very cheap and the most spectacular gardens and plants you will ever see- thought I would hate it but loved it, Boulders beach where a colony of penguins live is fun, the Alfred dock is good place to have a meal and look at Table Mountain which they light up at night (I bit touristy though), Camps Bay is a good place to have a seafood meal and watch the Atlantic. You do have to carefull as I am sure you are aware of crime. At first you can misiterpret people 'harassing you' but most of the time it is just people who have nothing trying to make a bit of money. People help you park your car and then watch it all night if nessesary, you give them a small tip when you get back. It has stopped a lot of petty car crime.

P.E. I hate, ugle too busy, not as much to do and the place I stayed I heard gun shots at night!! I probably just had a bad time in P.E. because others like it but I don't think you could go wrong with Cape Town.

Things in South Africa are very well spaced out so if you can afford to hire a car maybe between a few of you for a bit that could be good.

Didn't do any clubing so can't help on that front, but drinking wise try Windhoek, or Windoek Lite if you are flying!!

Have a great time and enjoy the buying power of the pound 15-16 rand now - try not to mention this to the locals that everything is sooooo cheap as it isn't to them!!

Just out of interest do you know how much a single and a twin per hour as myself and a couple of friend are thinking of a flying holiday in S.A.

Cheers
Helipad