PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 08:37
Grim Reaper 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As per most replies, if you want to do a JAR PPL, you have no choice in SA but to do it at FTC in Midrand. I suggest you contact them directly for payment etc. but as usual, by all means pay a deposit, but don't part with the bulk until you're more than happy with them. Nothing against FTC in particular, just the usual advice I guess.

Planes are fine, 4 brand new PA-28's but also C172's if you'd prefer, together with some older PA28's. Accommodation is basic, food might push your taste bud limits, but for the price, is more than acceptable. The on site bar is a good site to sink a few, but there is usually an excursion somewhere in someones 'rent-a-wreck' that will keep you going. Safety on-site is fine, but don't walk into town on your own after dark (a bit like most places in Central London!). Local facilities are few and far between. One shopping centre, NO shops on site, not even a little convenience store if you've run out of toothpaste.

Now to the important bit. Instruction for PPL's is good, but PLEASE allow yourself AT LEAST 5 weeks to complete. There are many many people who go for the 4 weeker and don't complete. This is mainly due to a distinct lack of organisation with regard to the aircraft. They'll be double booked, cancelled without notice, unavailable due to the previous lesson over running, in for service (all at once sometimes!!), etc. etc. The weather, despite the "350 flying days per year" will OFTEN let you down as a PPL student (wind and visibility the main ones). If you can, do some exams first. The first week at FTC seems to be medicals, x-rays, admin stuff and about 6 hours flying. This will leave you seriously behind schedule in your flying, meaning that 3 flying 'slots' per day AND groundschool will leave you absolutely knackered. Sunday is a compulsory 'no flying' day for PPL'ers', especially if you went out and got 'shedded' the night before.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want any other thoughts about the place