PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training /SFH in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2002, 04:45
tonyblair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours building

Perhaps a little off topic, but I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I'm looking at starting training this autumn and have been searching here for the options. There's certainly a wealth of data if you use the search function. What I'm not sure about is the validity of the do-it-yourself modular approach. A couple of friends of my father who are pilots have given me conflicting advice; both seem logical to me.

On the one hand, I'm told to save money, use the modular route and build my hours as cheaply as possible cause at the end of the day an airline will be assessing me & my performance in training (e.g. 1st time passes etc.) & not how I got my licence.

On the other, I'm told either go integrated, or do a structured modular course, because its easy to waste the 150 hours "drilling holes in the sky" (I loved that phrase!).

The latter advice seems logical. I've seem some ads for hours building (especially in the States) that emphasise how you can spend hours & hours doing long solo cross-countries. Probably cheap, but I have not learnt at the same rate on the little solo flying I've done. It's important, and certainly has given me great confidence, but I think 100 hours of it will be a waste of time. Sort of negates the modular route though.

What do you think?