PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 30th Jul 2009, 04:21
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Rivnut: you mention that you have had experiences that make you guys limit goggle up/degoggle hieghts. What are the expereinces and what are the limitations? It was interesting to me that during the 20 plus years of Swiss ops they have not had the same issues.

crab: thanks for the insights. You made a point that I was very interested in examining and have been doing so over here:
personally, after a few years of doing this job I have my goggles set so I can see my white light references on the cliff but can still 'look up' into the NVG for horizon and obstacle awareness so that I could react quicker to an engine failure instead of handing over control.
Do you mean setting your eye relief? I am very interested in discussing the eye relief from a civ white light perspective Vs a military non white light use. It seems you have also discovered what we are finding - an increased eye relief may suit civ ops where it did not suit mil ops.