PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RAF as a career today.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2009, 23:59
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
John, just about everyone of your age is preoccupied with "me", indeed a great many people never move on from that preoccupation. Some of those who have posted here imply that they were never thus preoccupied. Somehow I doubt that. It will be the RAF, or any of the Services, that would have changed their way of thinking. It will change yours too, unless you truly are the square peg that no amount of training will make round. I have very little idea of what modern service life entails these days other than a great deal of it is done in sunny climes, but the essentials will not have changed greatly since my day. Instead of "me" you will learn the sense of pride and pleasure in what "we" can achieve together. It will make you into a better human being, more caring and considerate of others, and you will achieve far more as a person than settling for Heathrow and Fishing. Oh, a bone to pick with you though, what's with the "even transport aircraft" bit? As an ex-Truckie I am proud of the importance of the work that those who inherited my role do now (and often with the very same aircraft), along with their Rotary brethren. It is there that the heart of the modern RAF beats I would suggest. So having alienated all the FJ's and the Nigels I'll shuffle off in my slippers and wish you good luck whatever you go for.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 30th Jul 2009 at 00:11.