PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info wanted on: Military? Paraboloidal Mirror
Old 29th Jul 2009, 20:07
barton-wood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info wanted on: Military? Paraboloidal Mirror

Hi,

as a newcomer to PPRuNe I should like to ask a question about a piece of surplus equipment I purchased recently.

The item is a 12" diameter, paraboloidal, front surface mirror, with a focal length of, I think, 72" i.e. F1:6.

The mirror is "cemented" by its perimeter into a cast alloy cell using some form of cold setting elastomer.

I have a strong suspicion that it is ex-military but there are no marks that I can discern. In addition, the cell is fitted with a sheet metal protective cover for the mirror surface.

I am a retired engineer and served an Optical Instrument Makers apprenticeship at Rank Precision Engineers (Kershaw Div.) Leeds, and would like to find out more about the origins of this mirror with a view to making an astronomical imaging system using a webcam derived imager.

Is there anyone out there that could identify the unit and supply, either directly or by way of a link to another source, any information as to its original use, maker, w.h.y. and let me know?

I can be supply photographs of the device should they be needed but do not know how to on this forum.

Yours hopefully,

John Barton Wood

barton-wood