PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2009, 09:25
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the more knowledge I have about planes and what they can cope with the better I will be. I expect the bird just to glide not wiggle and jiggle about. How much shaking can one plane take?
Rest assured, airliners can take more punishment than most pilots will ever see - let alone passengers. Turbulence is uncomfortable and can be quite unpleasant, but is hardly ever dangerous. Us pilots would prefer 'the bird to glide' rather than 'wiggle and jiggle' but remember that we are flying through a dynamic environment. The air is rarely still, and there is usually some turbulence between 'layers' of air, and certainly within convective clouds (the fluffy ones). It's all perfectly normal and routine, and although we'll do our best to avoid the worst bits and give everyone a smooth ride, it's not always possible. Regardless, airliners are built to withstand loads far in excess of anything likely to be encountered in normal service - as this video graphically demonstrates:

YouTube - Boeing 777 Wing Load Test

Easyjet are a first class airline, and whether you're on a 737 or an A319, you'll be a whole lot safer than driving up the M11 . . . Honestly, as an airline pilot there are only two things that frighten me; spiders and the drive to work.