PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IREX, Bob Tait's book and MDA
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2009, 23:22
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks 'training wheels' that was my interpretation before GG's comment;

Quote:
So in this case you would descend to the runway approach minima and circle with the 300 feet obstacle clearance
I am still a bit puzzled, but I haven't even experienced any approach down to minima as yet, so I think I will stick with playing by the rules for now
The example I offered is for something like a VOR/NDB which typicically get you down to 500 feet AGL on a runway approach where you will be perfectly legal to circle at 300 feet by day. An ILS will get you much lower and as such a circling approach is not an option at the DA. You could perhaps use the LLZ minima if you were assured of your 300 feet obstacle clearance or you could build your own DA into the minima factoring in local terrain. By night you have no option but the circling minima and must remain at this height until you intercept the normal approach path to land.

300 feet is a dangerous place to be in low vis operations. If you develop a high rate of descent with an increasing bank angle (say over 1500 fpm) you will hit the deck in less than 12 seconds. Pretty easy to do in mist and haze with the runway just sighted trying to manouvre visually!

GG

Last edited by The Green Goblin; 29th Jul 2009 at 04:09.