PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2009, 20:57
Legalapproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NikNak - I think you are a bit harsh. WH starts his post by saying that he has only just become aware and are you suggesting that this somehow invalidates his comments or concerns? Even if the project has been on the go for 2 years the final consultation draft was only published two months ago. Norwich has operated very well without class D for many years. The figures show that movements have not increased significantly and it is never going to become a major international airport - too close to Stanstead, relatively small local population and as a previous poster has stated the road and rail links are very poor. Further, the details set out in annex D do not establish a major problem.

Many of us have seen how Norwich has developed delusions of grandeur and has outpriced or made GA unwelcome. Many years ago I used to keep a Pitts in hangar 9 and never had a problem. Now I feel decidedly unwelcome.

Before you flame me, Norwich is my airport of choice and whenever its suitable if I am flying commercially I use the KLM service to AMS and then transit onwards. I am flying out of Norwich in a couple of weeks. Further, Norwich ATC are first class. I fly a PA32 locally and part own a cub at Priory Farm. For my part I don't think that the class D will really affect me other than the occasional ability to fly an instrument approach outside controlled airspace. As Naarfolk is fairly flat I suppose many of use will just have to create our own GPS approaches without a precision let down and low level RTB I'm sure I will get transits if necessary and in the cub I'll just bimble along outside the zone below 1500'.

That being said is it really necessary? Will the aviation industry and NWI come to a grinding halt without class D? I suspect not.